, , , ,

As my dad would say, this post “is a day late and a dollar short.”

But due to some unexpected events yesterday, I decided to take the day off from blogging. As evidenced in some not so subtle ways, I felt the universe was trying to send me a message to slow down, and apparently  I wasn’t listening.

It reminded me of something I heard Oprah say right before I made the decison to leave my job of 4 1/2 years at The Advocate and The Family Beat. I’m paraphrasing, but it had to do with “listening to the whispers that the universe sends out, and when you don’t listen then sometimes the universe will scream and bash you over the head with the message.” Well, I think the screaming was what happened yesterday.

It began with my 3 a.m. wake-up call, not from the alarm set for 3:15, but from an internal source that had me bolting upright in bed. The thought going through my mind: Was I supposed to renew my license this year? Why I had this thought now when it hadn’t crossed my mind AT ALL since the BIG 1-0 is baffling, but it did. I crawled into the shower a little bleary-eyed, still wondering what the answer to that question would be. When I emerged from the steam a little more alert Mark greeted me with, “You want me to make some coffee?”  I love you, honey. That was the perfect way to send me off!

When I finally made it downstairs all primped and ready to go at 3:20 (I’ve never taken too long to get read, and I don’t need any jokes about how it shows), I immediately grabbed my wallet and checked the date on my license. Sure enough it read Expires February 29, 2012.

Ugh. Did someone just drive a knife through my heart? This was almost as bad as going to the airport last year with my friend M for another much-needed girl’s trip to The Villages and realizing I had booked the trip under my maiden name, because that’s what I used at work. What a fiasco?

After a little stressing, near tears, and seeing that there was no way to renew my license online at this hour (apparently the DMV’s website starts working when they do) my husband and I both came to the realization that I had a passport!!!! (That’s how much out-of-country traveling I do. I didn’t even remember that I had one.) Cue the angels singing … Ahhh!

So I lept into the car at 3:50 a.m. with a warning from my husband to drive slowly, because I was now driving with an expired license, and began my trek to Bradley Airport, composing my humorous blog for you all the entire way. I planned to write it on the plane instead of go back to sleep, which I desperately needed.

Getting to the airport, dropping of my car, and checking in went without a glitch, and because I was traveling alone (for what I realized was the first time EVER), even the outrageous security lines didn’t phase me.

NOTE TO READERS: Never go left if there is an empty lane next to you. Apparently the lane I chose was so short because those well-traveled travellers knew the empty line next to it was for people with canes, wheelchairs, families with children in strollers, and everyone of them got to cut in front of me.

Still not phased, I went through the body scan like a pro, and even got patted down by a securty guard (it could have been the highlight of my day if the cute male guard hadn’t called over the female guard to do this), and was as relaxed as ever. Well,not quite. I did stress a little when I was unpacking my belongings to put on the belt, and realized I had left my computer on my kitchen island still trying to log into the DMV, so I wouldn’t be able to blog on the plane. Double ugh! But I took that all in stride (the whispers were getting louder), and I was beginning to hear them.

I didn’t even get stressed out when standing in line awaiting my giant iced-coffee and the woman on the intercom announced that my flight was boarding. I was flying JetBlue, had my seat assignment in hand so I was good to go. I even stopped in the restroom, peed, freshened up, and still made it to the gate on time. I was beginning to unwind and it felt fantastic!!

I spent the rest of the flight watching Bravo TV (I’m loving JetBlue), drinking my iced-coffee, and I even got a 20-minute nap in there.

I was so relaxed by the end of the flight that I didn’t even care that it took 30 minutes for our bags to come out, and another 20 for the Village van to come pick me up.

On my way to the 'rents.' Look at all that green!

When I finally made it to my parents’ my mom was outside waiting with her camera (“For your blog,” she told me later) … What a supportive mom!

and then we went inside (and then out on the lana) for a cocktail, (“It’s 5 o’clock somewhere,” she reminded me).

Ugh! I even look like I need a vacation!

After that I took a nap, and woke up … 5 HOURS LATER!!! OK, Universe I hear you! This vacation is to relax, chill out, and regroup. That is when I decided to delay the writing of this post until today.

And just in case I had any questions about the purpose of my trip down to The Villages, the Universe sent me one more message this morning. As I began this post my mom came out to lanai and dropped today’s horoscope in my lap. Actually she read it to me, then ripped it out of the paper and dropped it on my computer:

PISCES (Feb. 19-March 20): The tasks necessary to keep your life runnng smoothly may not be the ones that promote your dreams, goals and ambitons. Could you delegate some of them to another person?

So I’m hoping to blog once a day when I’m down here. But if I don’t, I hope you’ll understand, but the Universe is speaking and who wants to mess with that?

This is what blogging in Florida looks like!

P.S. If this post is missing any “i”s please understand, I am using my mom’s computer, and she seems to have a sticky “i.” Hey mom, I could further that joke, but I’m not sure if you’re there yet. Maybe by the end of my trip?